It’s that time of year when it chills up outside, and warms up inside … the oven that is. Pies, gingerbread, and other holiday treats call out for a creamy topping.
Here’s one of my favorites. It’s an easy, delicious, vegetarian dessert topping. Cashews and coconut are naturally sweet, so all you need to add is a touch of honey and vanilla. Happy eating!
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (not sweetened cream of coconut)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Soak cashews in water overnight. (This step is optional if you're in a rush. However soaking the cashews makes them easier to blend and brings out their natural sweetness.)
- Drain cashews and place in a food processor or blender with 1/2 cup water and blend until smooth.
- Add coconut cream, honey, and vanilla, and blend until combined well. If you like your topping sweeter, add more honey to taste.
- Refrigerate to thicken before serving.